Will I increase my risk of heart attack if I stop taking aspirin?

Dr. Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

A study published online in "BMJ" found that heart and stroke survivors who discontinue low-dose aspirin therapy significantly raised their risk of a non-fatal heart attack regardless of how long they had been taking aspirin. The study analyzed the health records of more than 39,000 patients between the ages of 50 and 84, and determined that there would be four additional heart attacks for every 1,000 people who discontinued their aspirin therapy. Half of those who stopped taking aspirin discontinued it on their own.

Continue Learning about Heart Attack

Simple Steps You Can Take to Prevent a Second Heart Attack
If you've had a heart attack, your risk of having a second heart attack is increased. Here, Dr. Mehmet Oz explains steps you can take to reduce risk a...
Is there a difference between a heart attack and cardiac arrest?
Dr. Sameer A. Sayeed, MDDr. Sameer A. Sayeed, MD
Cardiac arrest is when the heart stops beating completely and comes to a standstill. It can be the d...
6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers
6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers
Learn how the weather, road rage or the big game can spell trouble for your ticker.
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?