What should I expect if my doctor thinks I've had a heart attack?

If a heart attack is suspected, doctors will order a blood test and an electrocardiogram to test for changes in certain enzymes in the bloodstream and any disruption to the heart's electrical impulses. One such blood test detects changed levels of troponin, a protein that leaks from the heart muscle when it is damaged. Healthcare professionals may also check levels of enzymes called creatine kinase to determine if you have had a heart attack or if other muscles in your body have been damaged. Creatine kinase almost always rises in people who have had a heart attack, but levels of the enzyme can also be elevated for other reasons. Your healthcare professional will most likely perform other tests to exclude other medical conditions.

Continue Learning about Heart Attack

What You Need to Know About Heart Attacks
Heart attacks are believed to come on suddenly with no warning. And while that is often the case, the disease that causes heart attacks is often years...
How can I tell the difference between heartburn and a heart attack?
You may not know if heartburn is a heart attack in disguise. People with heartburn can be having a h...
The Smart Way to Exercise After A Heart Attack
The Smart Way to Exercise After A Heart AttackThe Smart Way to Exercise After A Heart AttackThe Smart Way to Exercise After A Heart AttackThe Smart Way to Exercise After A Heart Attack
Staying physically active can be part of your recovery—and help to prevent another cardiac episode. After a heart attack, many people are worried abou...
How Can Coronary Artery Disease Lead to a Heart Attack?