What should I ask before having angioplasty or cardiac bypass surgery?

Of course, you will want to personalize the questions you ask your doctor to fit your situation and ease your own concerns. But this list will help you start a productive conversation with your doctor to know what to expect, help you prepare and give you peace of mind:

• How do doctors decide whether angioplasty/stenting or bypass is the better treatment option?

• What can I do to prepare for the procedure so that I have a successful experience and recovery?

• What are the risks?

• What should I expect during the procedure?

• Will I be awake and know what’s happening?

• What will happen after the procedure?

• How long will I be in the hospital?

• How long until I can return to work or other normal daily activities?

• How will I feel after recovery is complete?

• Will I receive a stent?What is the success rate?

• What kind of care is necessary and ongoing afterward?

• Do I have to keep taking medications?

• Do I have to change my exercise and diet?

• Will the procedure cure my disease?

• Will my arteries re-narrow or become blocked again? If so, in what time period should I expect this to happen?

Continue Learning about Heart Attack

Bob Harper Opens Up About His Road to Recovery
Medically reviewed in September 2018.
Why do women take longer to recuperate from heart attacks than men do?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Women take longer to recuperate from heart attacks because, on average, they’re older than men when ...
6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers
6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers
Learn how the weather, road rage or the big game can spell trouble for your ticker. Every year, nearly 735,000 people in the US have a heart attack—an...
What Medications Can Reduce My Risk of Heart Attack?