How might statins reduce my risk of a heart attack or stroke?

Dr. Dede Bonner
Health Education Specialist

The results of a study by the American Heart Association suggest that using statins (cholesterol-reducing drugs) to treat the symptoms of inflammation, an oft-overlooked condition, may nearly halve people’s risk of future heart attack, stroke, and heart-related death. Ask your doctor about having a C-reactive protein (CRP) test for inflammation and about taking statins.

The 10 Best Questions for Recovering from a Heart Attack: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers, but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after the life-altering event of surviving a heart attack or...
Dr. Ozgen Dogan
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Studies show that statins help reduce the risk of heart attack by up to 35 percent. A Scandinavian clinical trial of the statin Simvastatin was conducted with 4,444 patients. All had experienced previous heart attacks. In the group of patients who took the statin, their risk of having a second heart attack went down by 30 percent. A Scottish study on statin takers found similar results. In short, statins prevent a first heart attack and, for those who have suffered one, provide insurance against a second one.

Continue Learning about Heart Attack

6 Hidden Causes of Heart Attacks
6 Hidden Causes of Heart Attacks
Let's say that, by the numbers, your heart looks to be in great shape. Your weight's down. Your waist is trim. Your lousy LDL cholesterol's under 100,...
What are some complications following a heart attack?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Complications following a heart attack can be very serious. The scar tissue of the damaged heart doe...
7 At-Home Strategies for Heart Attack Recovery
7 At-Home Strategies for Heart Attack Recovery7 At-Home Strategies for Heart Attack Recovery7 At-Home Strategies for Heart Attack Recovery7 At-Home Strategies for Heart Attack Recovery
Start by taking your meds and making your appointments.
What Medications Can Reduce My Risk of Heart Attack?