How do I know if I am having a heart attack?

To know if your symptoms signal a heart attack, get into the habit of noting your typical aches and pains and your normal reactions to foods and activities so you can recognize when something is truly amiss. If you have heart disease risk factors, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, diabetes, a smoking habit or a sedentary lifestyle, be especially careful about monitoring how you feel. Alert your doctor if you experience unusual fatigue, changes in your sleep habits or other subtle heart attack symptoms.

You could be having a heart attack if you have one or more of the following symptoms:

• Chest discomfort. Discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, pain, squeezing or fullness.
  • Discomfort in other areas of the upper body—your arms, neck, jaw or stomach.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • Other signs—breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or light-headedness.

You’ll know you’re having a heart attack by traditional signs like crushing chest pain that radiates to the left arm and neck and shortness of breath. But there is a whole world of atypical heart symptoms, particularly in diabetics. A diabetic’s only symptom might be shortness of breath or fatigue. Women may have atypical symptoms like back pain, arm pain, upper abdominal pain and bloating.

Continue Learning about Heart Attack

Know the Signs: Heart Attack
Know the Signs: Heart Attack
Every year about 735,000 Americans have a heart attack, that’s one every 43 seconds. The American Heart Association estimates that roughly 15 percent ...
When should I call my doctor when recovering from a heart attack?
Suhail Q. Allaqaband, MDSuhail Q. Allaqaband, MD
During recovery from a heart attack, call your doctor if you have: sudden onset of chest pain, not r...
6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers
6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers
Learn how the weather, road rage or the big game can spell trouble for your ticker.
What Does a Heart Look Like After a Heart Attack?