How could I have a heart attack after a normal nuclear exercise test?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Without having seen the results of your test, it's difficult to comment on it. But the likelihood is that it really was fine. Here's the most probable scenario for what happened: You had a moderately sized atherosclerotic plaque in the inner wall of the right coronary artery, the artery that runs down to the bottom of your heart. That plaque probably wasn't big enough to compromise blood flow and thus cause angina, or to make a worrisome signal appear on your nuclear exercise scan. But even a small plaque can rupture and, when it did, it caused a blood clot to form that blocked off the artery, causing your heart attack.

I know this scenario is scary, because it means a heart attack can occur in anyone at any time, even someone able to run miles the day before. While true, your chances of having a heart attack are much lower than average if you can exercise without symptoms or if you have a negative exercise test.
Harvard Medical School Heart Disease: A guide to preventing and treating coronary artery disease

Most people who develop heart disease at least 8 in every 10 have one or more major risk factors that are within their power to change. These include lack of exercise, high blood pressure, and...

Continue Learning about Heart Attack

Too Young to Have a Heart Attack? Think Again
If you don’t already, it’s time to start taking heart health seriously. That’s true even if you’re young, and even if you’re in pretty good shape. Hid...
If I have symptoms of a heart attack, should my family give CPR?
Deb CordesDeb Cordes
There is a difference between having a heart attack and having a cardiac arrest. Someone having a he...
6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers
6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers6 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers
Learn how the weather, road rage or the big game can spell trouble for your ticker.
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?