How does a heart attack damage the heart?

A heart attack is basically a blockage in the blood vessels that supply the heart. These vessels supply blood that contains nutrients and oxygen that keep the heart strong and healthy. When heart cells do not get nutrients and oxygen, they die and cannot regenerate. These dead heart cells are unable to contract and cannot help the heart pump blood to the rest of the body.

Continue Learning about Heart Attack

Could You Have a Heart Attack and Not Know It?
The iconic symptom of a heart attack is crushing pressure, like an elephant sitting on your chest. Can you still have a heart attack if you don’t feel...
Should I Cut Carbohydrates Completely from My Diet?
What Causes a Heart Attack?
What Causes a Heart Attack?
When Do Heart Attacks Most Commonly Happen?