What should I do if I think someone is having a heart attack?

If you suspect the person is having a heart attack based on his or her signals, call 911 or the local emergency number immediately.

A person having a heart attack probably will deny that any signal is serious. Do not let this influence you. If you think the person might be having a heart attack, act quickly.

If you think that you or someone you know is having a heart attack, you should call 911 immediately.

Why is there a need to act fast? Death or permanent disability can result from a heart attack. The risk of death or permanent damage can be reduced with timely treatment. Some newer treatments need to be given soon after the onset of a heart attack in order to be effective. It is important to know the symptoms of a heart attack and act right away.

Continue Learning about Heart Attack

what is an acute myocardial infarction ?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Acute myocardial infarctions, also known as heart attacks, are the leading cause of death for those ...
how do i know if i am having a heart attack ?
To know if your symptoms signal a heart attack, get into the habit of noting your typical aches and ...
how is a heart attack diagnosed ?
A heart attack is diagnosed based on symptoms, diagnostic tests, and family history. When a person a...
what causes coronary artery disease ?
what causes coronary artery disease ?