What are the symptoms of Usher syndrome?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The major symptoms of Usher syndrome are loss of hearing and of vision. Usher syndrome causes deafness in up to 6 percent of children. In those same children, up to half of them will become blind by the time they are adults. The blindness is caused by retinitis pigmentosa (RP). Other symptoms include balance problems.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Keep Your Hearing Sharp with a Healthy Diet
In the comic strip Pickles, Earl is eating a sandwich. “Earl, you made a mess in the kitchen when you made that sandwich,” says Opal. “No thanks, I al...
How will my doctor test for hearing loss?
Hearing loss is tested with a formal audiogram that tests your ability to hear pure tones.  Hearing ...
Can I develop a hearing impairment as an adult?
Not only can you develop a hearing impairment as an adult, but it is also quite common. Exposure to ...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing