The major symptoms of Usher syndrome are loss of hearing and of vision. Usher syndrome causes deafness in up to 6 percent of children. In those same children, up to half of them will become blind by the time they are adults. The blindness is caused by retinitis pigmentosa (RP). Other symptoms include balance problems.
- Q What is hearing impairment?
- Q Should I undergo genetic testing for hearing loss?
- Q Should I talk to my doctor about my Usher syndrome symptoms?
- Q What should I do if I suspect I have a hearing problem?
- Q What is Usher syndrome?
- Q What are the different types of hearing loss?