What sounds get harder to hear with age?

Dr. David M. Vernick, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT Specialist)

As people age, their actual hearing for sounds decreases. They have the most difficulty hearing quiet, low-decibel sounds. But the loss usually isn't uniform across the frequency spectrum. People with age-related hearing loss usually have more trouble hearing high-frequency, low-decibel sounds like a hiss, a whisper or the "s" or "th" sounds that begin a word. Their hearing may be normal or close to normal in the low-frequency range, but moderate or worse in the high-frequency range.

Typically with age-related or noise-induced hearing loss, the damage occurs in the high frequency or high-pitched sounds, and those are the words that give meaning to the sentence or to what is being said. It's the high-frequency consonants that actually make the words mean something. So, if the phrase, "Please sit down on the chair," is said to someone who has a high-frequency hearing loss, they might hear something like, "Ease it own on uh air." It doesn't make any sense. That's because all the high-frequency consonants have been filtered out by the hearing loss. Hearing in the low pitches stays relatively good, so the vowel sounds in speech, A-E-I-O-U, are low-pitched and easy to understand and easy to hear.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

What Causes Hearing Loss—and How to Lower Your Risk
We all know someone who displays the classic signs of difficulty hearing: They run the television with its volume blaring or maintain the conviction t...
How can I protect my ears from noise-induced hearing loss at work?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
A branch of the U.S. Department of Labor, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), ...
Why do changes in pressure affect the ears most severely?
Changes in pressure, such as those induced by air travel, affect the whole body. However, it is only...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing