What is mixed hearing loss?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
When there is a sensorineural hearing loss along with a conductive factor it is referred to as a mixed hearing loss. Alongside irreversible hearing loss from nerve cell damage or injury to the hair cells in the cochlea, there is a conjoining problem with how the middle ear works. This combination of hearing problems creates a far worse situation than happens with sensorineural hearing loss alone. There are usually effective medications or surgical treatment for the conductive factor such as antibiotics for ear infections. Still, the sensorineural part of the hearing loss is almost always permanent and irreversible and may be treated with a hearing aid or assistive listening devices (ALDs).

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

What Causes Hearing Loss—and How to Lower Your Risk
We all know someone who displays the classic signs of difficulty hearing: They run the television with its volume blaring or maintain the conviction t...
What factors can predict if I will recover from sudden hearing loss?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
The chance that the hearing will recover is never certain, but there are a few predictive factors. S...
Will my hearing get better if I wear hearing aids?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
If you wear hearing aids, your hearing loss will not get better. That is, your hearing loss in your ...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing