What is mixed hearing loss?

When there is a sensorineural hearing loss along with a conductive factor it is referred to as a mixed hearing loss. Alongside irreversible hearing loss from nerve cell damage or injury to the hair cells in the cochlea, there is a conjoining problem with how the middle ear works. This combination of hearing problems creates a far worse situation than happens with sensorineural hearing loss alone. There are usually effective medications or surgical treatment for the conductive factor such as antibiotics for ear infections. Still, the sensorineural part of the hearing loss is almost always permanent and irreversible and may be treated with a hearing aid or assistive listening devices (ALDs).

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

What Causes Hearing Loss—and How to Lower Your Risk
We all know someone who displays the classic signs of difficulty hearing: They run the television with its volume blaring or maintain the conviction t...
What are the different types of hearing loss?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
There are two basic types of hearing loss, sensorineural and conductive. Many people have a combinat...
How can my occupation affect my hearing?
Occupational hearing loss occurs as a result of workers' exposure to loud noise. Noise levels over 8...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing