What is hidden hearing loss?

Hidden hearing loss is difficulty understanding speech and noise in people whose hearing is normal on a hearing test. Hidden hearing loss goes along with noise exposure and aging. It’s called hidden hearing loss because when people have a hearing test by an audiologist, they are told that their hearing is normal. In other words, their audiogram is normal. However, people with hidden hearing loss report that they have great difficulty understanding speech in noise, and that's the hidden part. The hearing seems to be normal on a hearing test, and yet their experience is that they have difficulty understanding speech in many typical noisy circumstances during their day.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
The modern world is a noisy place: the shriek of ambulance sirens, the blare of the television, the jackhammer of construction—the list goes on. Yet a...
Can people see my hearing aids when I wear them?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
People will not see your hearing aids when you wear them unless they stare into your ear. But nobody...
What is hearing loss?
Hearing loss is a common physical problem among people of all ages. Today about 17 percent (36 milli...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing