What are the treatment options for presbycusis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Presbycusis is normally treated by use of an electronic hearing-aid device. Most hearing aids amplify sounds through a small speaker. Some fit over the opening of the ear canal. Some are implanted within the ear canal. Hearing aids cannot completely restore hearing, but they can improve it greatly. In the case of such severe hearing loss that conventional hearing aids do not help, surgery to implant a device directly to the auditory nerve may be an option.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Sound Advice for Aging Ears
Sound Advice for Aging Ears
"Are you mumbling, or are my ears going?" Although hearing loss is the third leading chronic disability affecting adults, it frequently goes unnoticed...
How often do I need to change the batteries in my hearing aid?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
How often you need to change the batteries in your hearing aid depends on the hearing aid. Some hear...
How is hearing loss treated?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Sometimes the problem is just an earwax build-up and the patient is referred to a doctor to remove t...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing