What should I do if I have sudden hearing loss?

David M. Vernick, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Be aware that hearing loss that comes on suddenly is sometimes a symptom of an inner ear infection or a blood vessel problem in the inner ear. If you have an abrupt and dramatic loss of hearing, see your doctor immediately. All infections are treatable, but you have the best odds of regaining your hearing completely if the problem is diagnosed and treatment begins a week or less after the hearing loss begins.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

What Causes Hearing Loss—and How to Lower Your Risk
We all know someone who displays the classic signs of difficulty hearing: They run the television with its volume blaring or maintain the conviction t...
What is noise-induced hearing loss?
Noise-induced hearing loss is one of the most common work-related illnesses in the United States. Ea...
Do hearing aids work for all hearing problems?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Hearing aids are effective for hearing loss if people understand what they're capable of doing. Some...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing