Should I tell my child's school about a hearing impairment?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

You should absolutely tell your child's school about his or her hearing impairment. Uninformed teachers may mistake a hearing impairment for a developmental or behavioral disorder. You must work with teachers to devise an education program that best suits your child's hearing abilities. Perhaps your child needs to sit in the front row of the classroom and wear an FM receiver while the teacher wears a microphone. The U.S. Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) dictates that your child receives the necessary programs in school free of charge. If you don't talk to the school about your child's hearing needs, he or she will not receive the education he or she deserves.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

How to Save Your Hearing
How to Save Your Hearing
Rates of hearing loss doubled in America between 2000 and 2015. So if you find yourself cranking up the TV volume or asking friends and family to SPEA...
What are the symptoms of noise-induced hearing loss?
With noise-induced hearing loss, there is damage to the soft tissue of the inner ear. One of the fir...
How do I know if I am at risk for hearing loss?
Hearing loss has several risk factors you can consider to determine your risk. First, if you have a ...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing