Should I talk to my doctor about my hearing impairment symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Yes, you should talk to your doctor about your hearing impairment symptoms. Aside from the social frustration of missing parts of conversations and worrying that people are tired of repeating themselves, it is best to diagnose hearing impairment early for three reasons: first, if you are currently doing damage to your hearing you will become aware of it and be able to prevent worse damage; second, conductive hearing impairment is treatable and can worsen if it isn't treated; third, even permanent hearing loss can be made less of an inconvenience with hearing aids. In children, early diagnosis is especially important because hearing impairment can delay the development of communication skills. Treatment for hearing impairment is considered to improve your quality of life.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

what is noise-induced hearing loss ?
Noise-induced hearing loss is a preventable type of hearing loss. It occurs when either a sudden, lo...
what are the risk conditions for hearing loss in children ?
Hearing loss can happen any time during life, from before birth to adulthood. The following are som...
what is the difference between deafness and hearing impairment ?
Deafness is a form of hearing impairment. The term hearing impairment covers a spectrum from mild to...
what is hearing loss ?
Hearing loss is a common physical problem among people of all ages. Today about 17 percent (36 milli...