Should I talk to my doctor about my presbycusis symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you are having difficulty understanding what people are saying when they speak to you, then you should talk to your doctor about the condition. With presbycusis, difficulty hearing spoken words usually occurs when background noise is present or when the speaker has a high-pitched voice, such as women and children. You should also let your doctor know about any family history of hearing loss, since the condition tends to run in families.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Why Hearing Loss Increases Your Risk For Depression
Do you find yourself asking others to repeat themselves, or turning up the volume on your television so you can hear? You’re not alone.  Most people ...
What is sudden hearing loss?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Sudden hearing loss is defined as a loss of hearing that begins for no apparent reason and develops ...
What should I expect from a new hearing aid?
Dr. David M. Vernick, MDDr. David M. Vernick, MD
Before you walk out of the dispenser's office, be sure you are reasonably comfortable with your new ...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing