How does sensorineural hearing impairment affect my hearing?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you have sensorineural hearing impairment, it means that the cochlea, which is the inner ear, or your auditory nerve, which connects your inner ear to your brain, has been permanently damaged. This damage can be the result of loud noise, age, diseases, some medications, pregnancy complications, head injuries, or genetics. Often, the outer hair cells, which are supposed to turn sound vibrations into nerve impulses and send them to the auditory nerve, aren't doing their job. Sometimes, the inner hair cells or auditory nerve cause a condition where your inner ear can't transmit sound to your brain without mixing up the message (auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder). This is why people who have sensorineural hearing impairment have a difficult time making sense of conversation and the different sounds they hear.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

What Causes Hearing Loss—and How to Lower Your Risk
We all know someone who displays the classic signs of difficulty hearing: They run the television with its volume blaring or maintain the conviction t...
What is conductive hearing loss?
There are three different types of hearing loss including sensorineural, conductive, and central aud...
How often do I need to change the batteries in my hearing aid?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
How often you need to change the batteries in your hearing aid depends on the hearing aid. Some hear...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing