How do I manage my noise-induced hearing loss on a daily basis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you're experiencing noise-induced hearing loss due to a job environment or recreational activity that requires you to often be around loud noises, you can manage and control your noise-induced hearing loss by wearing ear protection to prevent further damage. Also, be sure to regularly see your doctor and get tested for hearing loss. If you've already experienced considerable noise-induced hearing loss, you can help manage your lessened hearing abilities by wearing a hearing aid, using closed-captioning for TV and movies, and by alerting other people to your condition so that they know to speak to you loudly and clearly.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
The modern world is a noisy place: the shriek of ambulance sirens, the blare of the television, the jackhammer of construction—the list goes on. Yet a...
Can hidden hearing loss be treated surgically?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Hidden hearing loss cannot be treated surgically. So the damage that is done by noise exposure and b...
What factors can predict if I will recover from sudden hearing loss?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
The chance that the hearing will recover is never certain, but there are a few predictive factors. S...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing