Is hearing loss genetic?

Dr. David M. Vernick, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT Specialist)

Hearing loss runs in families. If one or both of your parents became deaf in their advanced years, you have a higher than average chance of age-related hearing loss. Research has identified several genes linked to hearing. Some of these genes affect the inner ear environment and thus the function of sensory hair cells. For example, mutations in the transmembrane cochlear-expressed gene Connexin are the likely cause of deafness in two-thirds of people with hereditary hearing loss.

Hearing loss is genetic and can be presented in early childhood or even in late adulthood.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Keep Your Hearing Sharp with a Healthy Diet
In the comic strip Pickles, Earl is eating a sandwich. “Earl, you made a mess in the kitchen when you made that sandwich,” says Opal. “No thanks, I al...
How common is hearing loss?
Hearing loss is so common that one of my colleagues says hearing loss doesn't run in families-it run...
What is hearing damage?
Hearing damage is complete or partial hearing loss as the result of a trauma, injury, or occupationa...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing