Is conductive hearing impairment serious?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

As far as hearing deficiencies go, conductive hearing impairment is a less severe form. Since it is commonly caused by earwax or fluid blockages, it is often fairly easy to treat and reverse, unlike sensorineural hearing loss, which affects the structures of the inner ear. But any kind of hearing loss should be treated seriously. Conductive hearing impairment, if left untreated, can lead to permanent hearing loss if infection is present. Permanent hearing loss cannot be cured. Those who suffer from permanent hearing impairment often face a lower quality of life, and sometimes report feelings of depression, anxiety, and social isolation.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Keep Your Hearing Sharp with a Healthy Diet
In the comic strip Pickles, Earl is eating a sandwich. “Earl, you made a mess in the kitchen when you made that sandwich,” says Opal. “No thanks, I al...
How should I help a loved one with hearing loss?
Mary VokurkaMary Vokurka
Hearing loss can definitely be trying. My father is extremely hard of hearing. It took years for us ...
What are the different types of hearing loss?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
There are two basic types of hearing loss, sensorineural and conductive. Many people have a combinat...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing