How can I understand people when they are speaking if I have hearing loss?

There are some things you can do to facilitate understanding someone who's speaking to you if you have hearing loss. By looking at the face and facial expression, you are also lip-reading. Some people say that they can't lip-read, but we all do on maybe a subconscious level. We look to the speaker for facial expression and lip movement, which helps to clarify what's being said. If you don't understand what people say, don't hesitate to ask them to repeat what they've said or ask them to say the same idea using different words to help clarify what they're trying to communicate. Importantly, don't fake it. There's nothing worse than responding to a person who says something, and maybe you didn't quite understand it, so you nod and smile and say "yeah." Maybe the right answer really should have been a look of horror and "Oh my gosh, no!" So faking it can be dangerous.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Keep Your Hearing Sharp with a Healthy Diet
In the comic strip Pickles, Earl is eating a sandwich. “Earl, you made a mess in the kitchen when you made that sandwich,” says Opal. “No thanks, I al...
What is the difference between deafness and hearing impairment?
Deafness is a form of hearing impairment. The term hearing impairment covers a spectrum from mild to...
Do childhood earaches cause hearing loss later in life?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
An earache itself won’t cause hearing loss, but an ear infection that goes untreated can lead to hea...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing