How is presbycusis diagnosed?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Presbycusis can be diagnosed by a doctor using one or more simple tests of your hearing. These tests can involve the use of tuning forks or headphones that emit sounds at different frequencies and volumes. Your doctor may also examine the ear canal to determine whether an obstruction, from wax buildup for example, is contributing to the problem.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Why Hearing Loss Increases Your Risk For Depression
Do you find yourself asking others to repeat themselves, or turning up the volume on your television so you can hear? You’re not alone.  Most people ...
Will my hearing get better if I wear hearing aids?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
If you wear hearing aids, your hearing loss will not get better. That is, your hearing loss in your ...
What causes hidden hearing loss?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
It is believed that hidden hearing loss is due to noise exposure. Even when hidden hearing loss does...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing