How can hidden hearing loss affect the sounds I hear?

Hidden hearing loss can affect the sounds you hear by causing tinnitus or hyperacusis. Tinnitus refers to a sound that is in your ear, but it's not a sound coming from the outside, so it's a sound that only you can hear. It may be a high-pitched ringing or a tonal sound, or it may be a buzzing sound or a clicking sound. This is something that only the individual can hear. Nobody on the outside can hear the sound.

Hidden hearing loss may also result in hyperacusis. Hyperacusis literally means high hearing or extra hearing. A person with hyperacusis from hidden hearing loss may be overly sensitive to sounds, overly sensitive to loud sounds and possibly even overly sensitive to normal conversational speech.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Keep Your Hearing Sharp with a Healthy Diet
In the comic strip Pickles, Earl is eating a sandwich. “Earl, you made a mess in the kitchen when you made that sandwich,” says Opal. “No thanks, I al...
How common is hearing loss?
Hearing loss is so common that one of my colleagues says hearing loss doesn't run in families-it run...
Do childhood earaches cause hearing loss later in life?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
An earache itself won’t cause hearing loss, but an ear infection that goes untreated can lead to hea...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing