How can hidden hearing loss affect the sounds I hear?

Hidden hearing loss can affect the sounds you hear by causing tinnitus or hyperacusis. Tinnitus refers to a sound that is in your ear, but it's not a sound coming from the outside, so it's a sound that only you can hear. It may be a high-pitched ringing or a tonal sound, or it may be a buzzing sound or a clicking sound. This is something that only the individual can hear. Nobody on the outside can hear the sound.

Hidden hearing loss may also result in hyperacusis. Hyperacusis literally means high hearing or extra hearing. A person with hyperacusis from hidden hearing loss may be overly sensitive to sounds, overly sensitive to loud sounds and possibly even overly sensitive to normal conversational speech.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Keep Your Hearing Sharp with a Healthy Diet
In the comic strip Pickles, Earl is eating a sandwich. “Earl, you made a mess in the kitchen when you made that sandwich,” says Opal. “No thanks, I al...
Is hearing loss genetic?
Dr. David M. Vernick, MDDr. David M. Vernick, MD
Hearing loss runs in families. If one or both of your parents became deaf in their advanced years, y...
Can hearing aids cure hidden hearing loss?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Hearing aids cannot cure hidden hearing loss. Hearing aids are aids. They are not a cure for hidden ...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing