How do medications treat presbycusis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
There are no medications effective in treating presbycusis, but there are other treatment options. In most cases, a hearing aid can be used to restore enough of age-related hearing loss to allow people to function normally. In more severe cases, there are surgical procedures like the cochlear implant that can be done to improve hearing.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
The modern world is a noisy place: the shriek of ambulance sirens, the blare of the television, the jackhammer of construction—the list goes on. Yet a...
What should I do if I have sudden hearing loss?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
Be aware that hearing loss that comes on suddenly is sometimes a symptom of an inner ear infection o...
How is hearing loss treated?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Sometimes the problem is just an earwax build-up and the patient is referred to a doctor to remove t...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing