How common is hearing loss in children?

Hearing impairments are complete or partial loss of hearing ability.Roughly three out of every 1,000 babies are born with a significant hearing loss, and many more children are born with milder forms of hearing loss. Overall, between 3% and 5% of children 18 years and under have some degree of hearing loss.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Keep Your Hearing Sharp with a Healthy Diet
In the comic strip Pickles, Earl is eating a sandwich. “Earl, you made a mess in the kitchen when you made that sandwich,” says Opal. “No thanks, I al...
What should I do if I have sudden hearing loss?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
Be aware that hearing loss that comes on suddenly is sometimes a symptom of an inner ear infection o...
How can hidden hearing loss affect the sounds I hear?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Hidden hearing loss can affect the sounds you hear by causing tinnitus or hyperacusis. Tinnitus refe...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing