How can I protect my child from presbycusis?

Presbycusis is hearing loss due to aging. You can protect your children from this type of hearing loss by having them avoid loud noise exposure. This is especially important as more children are wearing earbuds and headphones when listening to music, playing video games and watching TV programs. Make sure that they are limiting the time that they use their electronic devices to no more than two hours a day. Kids should also avoid turning the volume up too loud. Having a healthy lifestyle is also important since high blood pressure and diabetes can increase the risk for presbycusis.

The symptoms of presbycusis generally do not begin to become apparent until old age, but there are ways to protect your child from the condition. Exposure to loud noise can contribute to presbycusis. Make sure that your child uses headphones or ear buds with the volume at a safe level. Other environmental exposures, such as loud machinery, firearms, or powerful fireworks, should also be avoided or mitigated by the use of ear plugs.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
The modern world is a noisy place: the shriek of ambulance sirens, the blare of the television, the jackhammer of construction—the list goes on. Yet a...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hearing impairment symptoms?
Yes, you should talk to your doctor about your hearing impairment symptoms. Aside from the social fr...
What is mixed hearing loss?
When there is a sensorineural hearing loss along with a conductive factor it is referred to as a mix...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing