Is hearing impairment serious?

Hearing impairment can be a very serious problem if it isn't treated. People who have hearing assistance from hearing aids or cochlear implants and access to therapy and special education can function well in society. However, untreated hearing impairment can make it difficult for adults to obtain and maintain employment, and it can delay communication development in children and cause them to fall behind in school. These problems are especially prevalent in poor communities and poor countries because the education, prevention, and treatment options are limited.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
The modern world is a noisy place: the shriek of ambulance sirens, the blare of the television, the jackhammer of construction—the list goes on. Yet a...
What should I consider before signing a contract for a hearing aid?
Dr. David M. Vernick, MDDr. David M. Vernick, MD
Before buying a hearing aid, it's a good idea to meet with more than one qualified hearing aid dispe...
What are the symptoms that I may have hearing loss?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
For most people, hearing loss happens over time. The symptoms can be hard to notice. Quite often, fa...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing