What is hearing impairment?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Hearing impairment, or hearing loss, is a condition in which your ability to hear is completely or partially limited. When your loss of hearing is complete in either one or both ears, the condition is called deafness. There are two kinds of hearing impairment, each referring to the part of the ear that is affected: conductive hearing impairment (outer or middle ear) and sensorineural hearing impairment (inner ear). Mixed hearing impairment is a combination of conductive and sensorineural hearing impairment.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Can hidden hearing loss be treated surgically?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Hidden hearing loss cannot be treated surgically. So the damage that is done by noise exposure and b...
What are the symptoms of presbycusis?
Presbycusis is a sensorineural hearing loss caused by problems with the auditory nerve or disorders ...
What is sudden hearing loss?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Sudden hearing loss is defined as a loss of hearing that begins for no apparent reason and develops ...
How can I assess the severity of my hearing loss?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
Circle the number of points next to the answer that best describes your hearing.1. I have a problem ...