Does hearing damage affect children differently than adults?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Hearing damage does not affect children differently than adults, but children may be less knowledgeable about the damaging effects of noise and less able to protect themselves. Young children may have trouble learning language if their hearing is damaged. Noise is one of the main causes of hearing damage. If you attend an event or participate in activities with noise loud enough where you have to shout to be heard, then it's a good idea for everyone in the family to wear hearing protection. The use of personal listening devices also is impacting children's hearing. Roughly 12 percent of children aged six to 19 have some form of noise-induced hearing damage. Be vigilant over the volume at which your children listen to music and television. Also note any loud toys they may have and limit their use.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Hearing Aids 101: Here’s What You Should Know
Is the volume on your television steadily creeping upward? Do you find yourself saying “Would you repeat that?” frequently during conversations? These...
How can I understand people when they are speaking if I have hearing loss?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There are some things you can do to facilitate understanding someone who's speaking to you if you ha...
What should I consider before signing a contract for a hearing aid?
Dr. David M. Vernick, MDDr. David M. Vernick, MD
Before buying a hearing aid, it's a good idea to meet with more than one qualified hearing aid dispe...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing