How am I damaging my hearing by cranking up the music?

The good thing about personal music players and their headphones -- especially those ubiquitous white earbuds -- is that you can groove in the gym or rock out at the market.

The bad thing about them is that they will almost certainly damage your hearing if you listen for too long or crank up the volume too high. If you're exposed to a noise as loud as a city street for more than an hour at a time, it's dangerous. Think about this: When you wear your earphones, you could generate noise that's loud enough to drown out the city street.

Prolonged exposure to loud noises -- including piped-in music -- shakes up the bones in the middle of your ear and overstimulates the tiny hairs in your ear. These overstimulated hairs are like the bristles on a worn-out toothbrush. That loud music can lead to hearing loss and tinnitus -- a permanent ringing in the ears. Any time you hear a little ringing in your ears, you had the music turned up too loud. To be safe, don't ever turn the volume up to more than 70% of the maximum.

Loud noise may not only leave a ringing in your ears, it could take years off your life. A recent study in Germany suggests there may be a connection between loud noises and heart problems. Women had a 50% increased chance of having a heart attack if they were exposed to a lot of noise all day long, especially at home. Though the reasoning behind this isn't known for sure, researchers believe that the added stress of being around loud noises creates more heart-damaging anxiety. Although you don't realize it, your body does. And it doesn't react to it on the right way.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

How to Save Your Hearing
How to Save Your Hearing
Rates of hearing loss doubled in America between 2000 and 2015. So if you find yourself cranking up the TV volume or asking friends and family to SPEA...
How can I protect my ears from noise-induced hearing loss at work?
A branch of the U.S. Department of Labor, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), ...
Why do changes in pressure affect the ears most severely?
Changes in pressure, such as those induced by air travel, affect the whole body. However, it is only...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing