How does conductive hearing impairment affect my hearing?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Conductive hearing impairment is caused by damage or blockage in the outer or middle part of the ear. Sound is supposed to pass through your outer and middle ear first through your ear canal, then to the middle ear where your eardrum vibrates, and then to the tiny bones in your middle ear called ossicles, which are supposed to amplify the eardrum's vibrations as they pass to the inner ear. With conductive hearing impairment, something has gotten in the way of the process by stopping the transmission of sound, which makes sound seem quieter. That "something" can be wax, infections, a damaged ear drum, growths like cysts or tumors, fluid, or an object that has been inserted into the ear. Diseases, physical changes in the middle part of the ear, and damage can also muffle sound.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Keep Your Hearing Sharp with a Healthy Diet
In the comic strip Pickles, Earl is eating a sandwich. “Earl, you made a mess in the kitchen when you made that sandwich,” says Opal. “No thanks, I al...
What factors can predict if I will recover from sudden hearing loss?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
The chance that the hearing will recover is never certain, but there are a few predictive factors. S...
What should I do if I suspect I have a hearing problem?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Talk to your primary care doctor. You may then want to seek help from hearing specialist like: an au...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing