Why do changes in pressure affect the ears most severely?

Changes in pressure, such as those induced by air travel, affect the whole body. However, it is only gasses that change volume significantly in response to these changes. Airplane cabin pressure, relative to sea level, can cause pockets of gas to expand by a quarter of their previous volume. The air in the ear is particularly isolated and likely to cause pain. A similar problem can occur to the lungs.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Keep Your Hearing Sharp with a Healthy Diet
In the comic strip Pickles, Earl is eating a sandwich. “Earl, you made a mess in the kitchen when you made that sandwich,” says Opal. “No thanks, I al...
Will my hearing get better if I wear hearing aids?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
If you wear hearing aids, your hearing loss will not get better. That is, your hearing loss in your ...
How loud does a sound have to be to cause noise-induced hearing loss?
The decibel is the unit of measurement for sounds. When you speak at a normal volume, it is around 6...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing