Can hidden hearing loss be treated surgically?

Hidden hearing loss cannot be treated surgically. So the damage that is done by noise exposure and by having many birthdays is not medically or surgically treatable. It's not clear to researchers whether conditions that tend to go together with hidden hearing loss occur in the ear or in the brain. Current theories suggest that they occur in the brain, and not actually in the ear, but still as a response to damage on a cellular level to the auditory nerve. There's no way that a doctor or a surgeon can go in and change damage that's been done on a cellular level.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Why Hearing Loss Increases Your Risk For Depression
Do you find yourself asking others to repeat themselves, or turning up the volume on your television so you can hear? You’re not alone.  Most people ...
Do hearing aids work for all hearing problems?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Hearing aids are effective for hearing loss if people understand what they're capable of doing. Some...
Should I wear a hearing aid if I have a hearing problem?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Hearing aids are getting smaller and smaller. It is unlikely anyone will notice when you are wearing...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing