Can ear infections cause hearing loss?

David M. Vernick, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
A middle ear infection, or otitis media, is the most common cause of hearing loss in children, although adults sometimes get it, too. Otitis externa (swimmer's ear), a bacterial or fungal infection of the skin lining the canal of the outer ear, is more common in adults than children. The infection can lead to hearing loss by causing a discharge or swelling in the ear canal. Other infections can cause hearing loss. One is labyrinthitis, which affects both the cochlea, a snail-shaped structure in the inner ear, and the balance organs of the inner ear, leading to hearing loss and dizziness. Another is meningitis, a brain infection that can damage the auditory nerves.

People are often concerned about the hearing loss they experience during an ear infection. Most people (children and adults) will have a temporary and minor hearing loss during and immediately following an ear infection. With proper treatment, there is seldom any permanent hearing loss.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
The modern world is a noisy place: the shriek of ambulance sirens, the blare of the television, the jackhammer of construction—the list goes on. Yet a...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hearing impairment symptoms?
Yes, you should talk to your doctor about your hearing impairment symptoms. Aside from the social fr...
Should I wear a hearing aid if I have a hearing problem?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Hearing aids are getting smaller and smaller. It is unlikely anyone will notice when you are wearing...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing