What are the six-year molar teeth?

The first permanent molars usually erupt between ages 6 and 7 years. For that reason, they often are called the "six-year molars." They are among the "extra" permanent teeth in that they don't replace an existing primary tooth. These important teeth sometimes are mistaken for primary teeth. However, they are permanent and must be cared for properly if they are to last throughout the child's lifetime. The six-year molars also help determine the shape of the lower face and affect the position and health of other permanent teeth.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

How does chewing gum stimulate the flow of saliva?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Chewing gum after a snack or meal stimulates salivary flow, clearing food from the mouth and neu...
How often should I replace my toothbrush?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
As a rule, it's a good idea to replace your toothbrush every thirty to forty-five days. (If bris...
What are the three classic types of smiles?
There are three classic types of smiles that include the following: Mona Lisa (two-thirds of peo...
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?