What mouthwashes should I use?

There are several mouthwashes that contain either fluoride or an antimicrobial ingredient, or both. Check for the ADA seal of acceptance. This seal shows that the product has been rigorously tested and shown to be safe and effective. Fluoride strengthens and remineralizes the enamel of the teeth. The acid from plaque creates indentations or cavities that literally eat away the tooth. If not prevented, this can cause cavities and tooth loss. Antimicrobial mouthwashes help control plaque formation and prevent gingivitis.

A mouthwash may provide additional protection against cavities and gum disease. When selecting a mouthwash look for products that carry the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance, which have been tested for their safety and effectiveness

Most mouthwashes are available without a prescription. Your dentist can advise you whether you need a mouthwash and what kind of mouthwash to use depending on your oral health needs.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What can I do to improve the condition of my teeth?
Start with an excellent oral hygiene routine at home, including brushing your teeth twice a day ...
How can I find a dentist in a foreign country?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The following are resources for finding a dentist in a foreign country: Before you travel abroad,...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?