What should a dentist do to maintain a sterile office?

Infection control procedures are precautions taken in healthcare settings to prevent the spread of disease. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), working with the American Dental Association (ADA), has developed special recommendations for use in dental offices.

Before you enter the examining room, all surfaces, such as the dental chair, dental light, drawer handles and countertops have been cleaned and decontaminated. Some offices may cover this equipment with protective covers, which are replaced after each patient.

Non-disposable items like the dental tools or handpieces are cleaned and sterilized between patients. You may not be aware that sterilization and other infection control precautions take place before your dental visit because many of these procedures occur in another area of the dental office. Disposable items like needles or gauze are placed in special bags or containers.

Infection control precautions also require all dental staff involved in patient care to use appropriate protective garb such as gloves, and sometimes masks, gowns and eyewear. After each patient, disposable wear like the gloves and masks are discarded. Before seeing the next patient, the treatment team washes their hands and put on a new pair of gloves.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What is the parotid gland and what makes it swell?
The parotid gland is a major salivary gland that secretes saliva into the mouth. Swelling can occur ...
Why should I get a dental checkup before traveling?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you plan to be away from home for any length of time, have a dental checkup and necessary tre...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?