What are the benefits of dental work to improve my smile?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Getting aesthetic dental work to improve your smile isn't an act of vanity. It's an investment in yourself, your happiness and your longevity. Do you realize that the most precious thing that you can give another person is free and effortless?  A smile that says "I care," "thank you," "you're funny," "glad to see you" or even "you turn me on" is such a gift and it's the way people have interacted for thousands of years. When you invest in your smile, think of it as an investment in your own longevity. By making your smile freely available to others with confidence, your joy will spread to them and the entire overtone of every interaction you have will be different, and better!
There are many benefits of having dental work to improve your smile, including a better appearance and healthier teeth. Starting on the preventative side, the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that you get regular professional dental cleanings and oral exams. The professional cleanings can remove a build-up of plaque and tartar. It will also help remove stains on your teeth.

You can also get cosmetic dental work done to improve your smile. Cosmetic dental work involves procedures that make your teeth look better, but don’t change the function of your teeth. Teeth whitening is a cosmetic procedure that your dentist can do, which bleaches the teeth. Since it doesn’t work on all teeth and stains, there are other options such as veneers and bonding that can make a tooth look whiter as well. Veneers and bonding can also improve the shape of a tooth or fill in gaps between teeth. By using dental work to improve the look of your teeth, your smile can be whiter, look healthier, and be more attractive.

There are many ways to brighten or enhance your smile. The best method is by practicing good, regular oral health hygiene habits. Brush your teeth twice a day and floss once a day. Regular visits to your dentists for cleanings also help keep your teeth looking nice. Your dentist may suggest a crown to reshape your teeth, or there are methods for whitening your teeth. A dental implant can replace a lost tooth. Ask your dentist what treatment options may be available and best suited for you.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

How do my teeth - and my smile - change as I age?
As you age, your teeth get worn down naturally, and the soft tissue around the mouth descends. This ...
Why is oral health important?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
One should practice oral health because: Plaque consists of bacteria and bits of food that coat ...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?