What are dental grills?

Todd A. Welch, DMD
Periodontics
Teeth grillz, sometimes called “teeth fronts,” generally are removable but some wearers have had their teeth altered with gold dental crowns to permanently resemble a grill. And some have tried to attach their grill with permanent cement -- something that is not meant for internal use and can damage the teeth and tissues!

Dental "grills" are decorative pieces worn in the mouth over teeth. They are removable and can be taken in and out by the patient. While grills are supposed to be worn for fun like jewelry, I have seen patients wear them as a way to replace missing teeth.

Grills should not be worn permanently, and can cause a variety of dental problems. Their poor fit can cause inflammation and infection in the gums. Constant wear will cause cavities in the teeth because they allow bacteria to sit on the teeth and erode away tooth structure. Finally, grills can cause teeth to shift and the bite to become uncomfortable.

Grills are not made by dentists. They are made by jewelers and should not be used as tooth replacements. If worn at all, they should be for short term, "fun" use.
Dental grills are decorative covers often made of gold, silver or jewel-encrusted precious metals that snap over one or more teeth.

Grills, sometimes called "fronts," generally are removable but some wearers have had their teeth altered with gold crowns to permanently resemble a grill. And some have tried to attach their grill with permanent cement -- something that is not meant for internal use and can damage the teeth and tissues!

At present there are no studies that show that grills are harmful to the mouth -- but there are no studies that show that their long-term wear is safe, either. Some grills are made from non-precious (base) metals that may cause irritation or metal-allergic reactions.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What gum and dental problems can I face with aging?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
Aging doesn't cause dental problems, per se; however, problems that come from aging may effect your ...
Are pale, blue, or yellow lips a sign of health problems?
Lips can change color as you age, but certain colors can mean major health problems. Learn more as D...
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health