What are the three classic types of smiles?

There are three classic types of smiles that include the following:
  • Mona Lisa (two-thirds of people): The corners of the mouth are pulled up and out, and the upper lip is raised to show the upper teeth. The most attractive show all of their top teeth and about two millimeters of gums (any more and the smile is classified as "gummy"). The Mona Lisa smile is considered the most attractive, with the upper and lower lips moving half an inch and up at a 40-degree angle.
  • The Canine (one-third of people): A particular muscle (called the levator labii superioris, for you anatomy junkies) is dominant, and exposes the canine teeth before the full smile.
  • The Full Denture (rare): All of the upper and lower lip work overtime to expose the whole dang shebang of teeth.
YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

Why are some people afraid to smile?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
As a prosthodontist, I have heard this story a thousand times. It varies by degree and the names and...
Is chewing the inside of my cheek dangerous to my health?
Chewing the inside of your cheek could affect your health. By chewing on the sensitive surface, ...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?