Why do I need to see a dental hygienist?

Seeing a dental hygienist regularly is necessary to maintaining good oral health care. Brushing and flossing daily is not enough to reach the hidden areas where tartar and plaque can build up. A dental hygienist uses special instruments to clean your teeth, remove tartar and plaque, and help prevent gum disease or bone loss. A dental hygienist can also advise you on products you can use to help improve your home oral hygiene routine.
Carol Jahn
Dentist
Dental hygienists are your friend and partner in achieving and maintaining good oral health.  They will assess your periodontal health (often called periodontal probing), check the teeth for signs of decay, screen your mouth for oral cancer, take x rays when needed (generally depends upon your risk for decay or gum disease), scale and polish your teeth, apply anti-caries agents (fluoride and others), advise you on how frequently you need to come in to maintain your oral health, and counsel you on the types of home devices (tooth brush, water flosser) that are most appropriate for you.   

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

How often should seniors visit the dentist?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Seniors, as most people, should visit the dentist at least twice a year. Of course, there are people...
Can a vegetarian diet help oral health and heart health?
Although a vegetarian diet is largely seen to be healthy, some vegetarians are at risk for not getti...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?