How should I choose a dentist?

In choosing your dentist, the American Dental Association offers these suggestions:
  • Ask family, friends, neighbors or co-workers for recommendations.
  • Ask your family physician or local pharmacist.
  • If you're moving, your current dentist may be able to make a recommendation.
  • Call or write your local or state dental society. Your local and state dental societies also may be listed in the telephone directory under "dentists" or "associations."
You may want to call or visit more than one dentist before making your decision. Dental care is a very personalized service that requires a good relationship between the dentist and the patient.
Peggy Rosen
Dentist

How to choose the dentist:

1. Choose the dentist who is willing to spend time explaining all your conditions
  2. Choose the dentist who will listen to your problems
  3. Choose the dentist who can accommodate your need in a case of ememrgency
  4. Choose the dentist who allow you to make your own decision with his/her guidance
  5. Choose the dentist who explain his treatment plan including fees in advance
  6. Choose the dentist who is referred to you by your family members or good friends
  7. Choose the dentist that has high performance in his/her field
Finding a dentist with whom you are comfortable and who provides quality care can often be a challenge; however, the vast majority of dentists care very much about quality and the comfort of their patients. That being said, in addition to finding a dentist who performs treatment with care, skill and good judgment, patients often select a dentist based on specific personality traits.

Among the ways to find a good dentist are:
  • Ask friends and relatives
  • Talk to people who have been in the community for several years
  • Contact the local dental society
  • Ask your physician 
  • Speak with dental specialists in your area
You may have to call various offices to ask about the practice, and you may even have to set up several consultations. While this may involve some time, and maybe money, it may help in your selection.

Also, once you have selected dentist, observe that he or she is concerned about establishing overall good oral health and getting to know your dental needs and wants. This will certainly help you decide if the treatment philosophy is right for you.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What is clinical attachment loss, or CAL, in women?
Dentists and periodontists use the term clinical attachment loss (CAL) to determine the extent of pe...
Why is it important to have a healthy mouth?
Rita MedwidRita Medwid
A healthy mouth is a healthy life. There is a direct relationship between the health of your mouth a...
Do discolored spots on my teeth increase the risk of cavities?
Sometimes discolored marks on the teeth may indicate a cavity. The dentist may use a sharp tipped in...
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?