How often should seniors visit the dentist?

Seniors, as most people, should visit the dentist at least twice a year. Of course, there are people who have dental conditions that require more frequent care. Such problems include gum disease and increased incidence of recurrent decay. Also, even if a person has complete dentures, he or she should visit the dentist annually for an oral examination and evaluation of the dentures. Things can change and you may not be aware of problems.

There is a saying, "Don't wait till it hurts" that certainly applies. Just as patients see the physician to check blood pressure, etc., they should have regular dental evaluations.

Good oral hygiene is important for seniors. Listen as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains the importance of dental checkups at any age.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What lifestyle risk factors may lead to oral health problems?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The best thing you can do for your overall health and oral health, regarding lifestyle, is to not sm...
What causes an impacted tooth?
Teeth that do not have enough room to come in normally or are in the wrong position so come in crook...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?