How often must I floss my teeth?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Flossing should be done once a day, says Dante Gonzales, DMD. In this video he says that it doesn't matter if you floss in the morning, night, before brushing or after -- as long as you're flossing once a day.
Try to floss your teeth at least once each day. While brushing your teeth keeps the tooth clean and the gums healthy, using dental floss helps keep plaque off between the teeth. If you don't get rid of the plaque, it hardens and turns into tartar. Your dentist or dental hygienist will then have to scrape the tartar off the tooth to keep your mouth healthy. When you floss your teeth, be gentle. Use a movement similar to sawing as you clean between the teeth and get down to the gumline. Gently move between each tooth and the gum to avoid injuring the gum. Make sure you use clean dental floss each time you enter your mouth to do the next tooth. After flossing, you can rinse with a mouthwash or special rinse prescribed by your dentist.
For good oral hygiene, you should floss once daily. Tooth decay -- causing bacteria still linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. This helps remove the sticky film on teeth called plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

what drugs can be detected in saliva ?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A number of drugs can be detected in saliva. Saliva evaluation technology is currently used to t...
how can i improve my smile ?
The best way to improve your smile is to make sure your teeth look healthy and white. To do this at ...
how often should i replace my toothbrush ?
You should replace your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months. Using a toothbrush with frayed or worn brist...
what mouthwashes should i use ?
A mouthwash may provide additional protection against cavities and gum disease. When selecting a mou...