How can I improve my smile?

There are many things you can do to help improve your smile, but the most important is also one of the easiest. Maintaining good oral hygiene at home is not only critical to achieving a nice smile, it's also the best way to ensure a healthy smile and mouth. Always remember to brush your teeth twice a day, floss between teeth once a day, and eat a balanced diet and limit between-meal snacks. This will help ensure a beautiful smile for a lifetime.

If you would like whiter teeth, straighter teeth or replacement teeth, talk to your dentist about the best treatment option to acheive your perfect smile. While a bright, white smile may look healthy, it doesn't necessarily mean that your teeth are healthy. Problems like tooth decay, periodontal disease or fractures are often invisible to the untrained eye. A dentist can help you prevent, identify and treat these conditions.
Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
There are many things you can do to have brighter, more perfectly aligned teeth. If you feel more confident about your smile you will likely use it more.

Here is a secret: Most of the perfect celebrity smiles that you see on TV and in magazines are the result of several smile enhancing efforts by dentists. Plenty of whitening and straightening have resulted in these personalities permeating our lives with their smiles -- and the result is that everyone wants to see more of them. Good dentistry should be invisible. If you have good procedures done then they should look completely natural with no one really knowing that any work was done. The right dental professional knows this and will discuss it with you.

Also, the right smile enhancing procedures should not stray too dramatically from the smile you were born with. The more different it looks, the less it's "yours." One of the things so great about a smile is its individuality. With the strides in recent technology and the advancements in oral care, it's important you understand a great smile is available at any age.

All of these options are available to you also. But don't think of it as celebrity emulation. Think of it as finding your epicenter of beauty. Think of it as an investment in the emotion behind the smile -- the happiness a smile indicates. Smiles cause a chain reaction -- once you start smiling more, the people you smile at will also, and so on and so on.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
There are lots of things you can do to improve your smile with something as easy as whitening what you already have all the way to improving the position of your smile with jaw surgery. In between are procedures like restoring broken down teeth, reducing crowding, straightening crooked teeth, and correcting bite. Your dentist can help you decide what you need and how far you want to go.
The best way to improve your smile is to make sure your teeth look healthy and white. To do this at home, brush your teeth twice a day and floss each day. This keeps your teeth clean and helps prevent cavities. You should also see a dentist regularly for professional cleanings and exams. If your teeth aren’t as white as you’d like, you can try a teeth whitening kit from a drugstore. The kits contain the same active ingredients that dentists use, hydrogen peroxide, though in lower concentrations.

Dentists have many ways to improve your smile as well. The first is with teeth whitening, which they can do in about an hour. If your teeth have stains that whitening applications can’t help, dentists can put a veneer on your tooth or teeth, which can also help the appearance. Dentists offer bonding procedures, which can improve the shape of the teeth. If your teeth are crooked or have gaps, orthodontic dental work can straighten them out. All of these techniques help improve your smile.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

Can I tell if I have gum disease by checking my gums?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you suspect you have gum disease, it's important to schedule regular dental checkups so that your...
What causes an impacted tooth?
If there is not enough room for a tooth to erupt into the mouth it will become impacted. This is a v...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?