How can I keep my child's teeth healthy during Halloween?

Keep your child's teeth healthy during Halloween by following these tips:
  • Wash it down. After your kids tire of stuffing themselves on Halloween candy, make sure they finish with a big glass of water to clean sugar residue off the teeth. Better yet, send them to brush their teeth and go to bed.
  • Avoid sticky situations. Limit sticky candies like toffee and gummy candies because the sugars stick to the teeth (Remember trying to pick a Bit-O-Honey out of your teeth -- and worrying that you'd pull out your fillings in the process?). Also go easy on hard candies like suckers, Jolly Ranchers and Tootsie Roll Pops (combines both sticky and long-lasting) because the sugars linger in the mouth longer.
  • Satisfy your child's chocolate craving. The occasional piece of solid chocolate is better than one filled with a gooey center -- again because it won't stay in your child's mouth as long, meaning the bacteria won't have as long to feed on the sugars. That means a Hershey's Kiss or a Nestlé Crunch mini-bar may be a better choice than a Snickers or a 3 Musketeers -- especially if the kids won't be able to rinse or brush when they finish.
  • Chew on this. If you're traveling or are somewhere your kids can't rinse or brush after eating candy, give them a piece of sugar-free gum to help cleanse the mouth. Just make sure it's sugar-free -- regular gum only adds to the problem. (As a parent, you should determine when it's safe for your child to chew gum.)

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

How often must I floss my teeth?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Flossing should be done once a day, says Dante Gonzales, DMD. In this video he says that it doesn't ...
Why should I get a dental checkup before traveling?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you plan to be away from home for any length of time, have a dental checkup and necessary tre...
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health