How are dental instruments sterilized?

Dental offices follow specific heat sterilization procedures which are outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Dental Association. Disposable items, such as needles and saliva ejectors, cannot be sterilized and are discarded in special containers.

Dental instruments are cleaned and sterilized at very high temperatures after each time they are used on a patient. Recommended sterilization methods include: an autoclave (steam under pressure), a dry heat oven, or chemical vapor (commonly called a chemiclave). The sterilization equipment usually is not in the treatment room, but if you'd like to see how and where it's done, ask the dental staff to show you.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What's a good alternative to mouthwashes that contain alcohol?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
A great alternative to mouth wash would be to use a device called the Water Flosser. It is has been ...
Why is oral health important?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
One should practice oral health because: Plaque consists of bacteria and bits of food that coat ...
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health