How are dental instruments sterilized?

Dental offices follow specific heat sterilization procedures which are outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Dental Association. Disposable items, such as needles and saliva ejectors, cannot be sterilized and are discarded in special containers.

Dental instruments are cleaned and sterilized at very high temperatures after each time they are used on a patient. Recommended sterilization methods include: an autoclave (steam under pressure), a dry heat oven, or chemical vapor (commonly called a chemiclave). The sterilization equipment usually is not in the treatment room, but if you'd like to see how and where it's done, ask the dental staff to show you.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

Can bad teeth cause health problems?
Teeth that are in poor condition may produce an abundance of bacteria that could lead to oral infect...
What causes an impacted tooth?
If there is not enough room for a tooth to erupt into the mouth it will become impacted. This is a v...
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health