Do discolored spots on my teeth increase the risk of cavities?

Not all spots are created equal

If the spot indicates a weakness in the enamel (outer layer), then yes, you are at increased risk.

If the spot is hard, hasn't changed size, and your dentist determines it is not a cavity, then that spot may not increase your risk of getting a cavity.

Sometimes discolored marks on the teeth may indicate a cavity. The dentist may use a sharp tipped instrument to examine the discolored mark and see if it is decay. The decayed part will be soft. The dentist may coat your tooth with a special dye that detects cavities. Once the dye is applied, it will stick to the cavity but rinse off the healthy part. X-rays are usually used to detect cavities. But x-rays are limited in how much they can reveal, especially if it is a small cavity. A special wand may be used that measures changes caused by tooth decay. This laser tool is especially useful on pitted teeth.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

Are white teeth healthy?
Peggy RosenPeggy Rosen
When you have a white teeth, you normally will have no accumulation of plaque, no apparent cavity so...
What's a good alternative to mouthwashes that contain alcohol?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
A great alternative to mouth wash would be to use a device called the Water Flosser. It is has been ...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?