Do discolored spots on my teeth increase the risk of cavities?

Sometimes discolored marks on the teeth may indicate a cavity. The dentist may use a sharp tipped instrument to examine the discolored mark and see if it is decay. The decayed part will be soft. The dentist may coat your tooth with a special dye that detects cavities. Once the dye is applied, it will stick to the cavity but rinse off the healthy part. X-rays are usually used to detect cavities. But x-rays are limited in how much they can reveal, especially if it is a small cavity. A special wand may be used that measures changes caused by tooth decay. This laser tool is especially useful on pitted teeth.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What is a perfectly proportioned mouth?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
When your teeth and bite are in proper alignment, your mouth will be well proportioned. If the bite ...
How can I have healthy teeth and bones?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Healthy teeth and bones start with plenty of calcium and lots of physical activity. Here are s...
Can massage help my oral care or heart health?
There is little information about massage directly improving oral health. But we know that your ...
What can I do to keep my smile healthy as I age?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Aging can affect your oral health just as it does your overall health. Dr. Maria Lopez Howell ex...