Can smoking irritate your gums?

You know smoking is bad for your health, so it should be no surprise that cigarettes and chewing tobacco are also harmful to your oral health, including your gums. 

Other possible oral health impacts of smoking and all tobacco products include:
  • stained teeth and tongue
  • dulled sense of taste and smell
  • slow healing after a tooth extraction or other surgery
  • difficulties in correcting cosmetic dental problems
  • gum disease and irritated gums
  • bad breath
  • oral cancer
Quitting smoking is the only prevention. For more information and free resources on how to quit, visit Smokefree.gov.

Smoking can irritate your gums, teeth, tongue, and throat. In fact, smoking can predispose to oral cancer and it worsens the complications of diabetes. Most people know smoking is bad for their health but many do not know how much damage it can do in the mouth. Many people who quit do so because it irritates their teeth or gums so badly that they overcome the addiction. Smoking has been known to decrease circulation in the mouth, impair the immune system, and cause inflammation and pain. Smoking stains the teeth and increases your risk for periodontal disease dramatically, up to 10 times more than if you didn't smoke. Quit now. Your doctor and dentist can help you with medications, advice, and encouragement.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

Are white teeth healthy?
Peggy RosenPeggy Rosen
When you have a white teeth, you normally will have no accumulation of plaque, no apparent cavity so...
Why should I use natural toothpaste and mouthwash for good oral health?
Some people feel that natural toothpaste and mouthwash are better for oral health because they may n...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?